PARTNER – CORPORATE TRANSACTIONAL GROUP
Venture & Emerging Growth | M&A
Ben Wiles is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactional Group with a practice focusing on Venture & Emerging Growth and M&A. Ben regularly represents venture capital and private equity investors and emerging growth companies in formation, debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, strategic joint ventures, technology arrangements, privacy compliance matters and general corporate matters. He has handled corporate matters for a wide variety of clients and financings of all sizes, from small pre-seed convertible note deals to nine figure late stage investments for the world’s largest venture capital firms. He also regularly handles sell-side M&A exits. His practice spans a wide variety of industries including adtech, insurtech, therapeutics, medical devices, retail, blockchain and beverage alcohol.
Activities and Recognitions:
- Ben cares deeply about legal technology and automation. He is an active member of the legal hacker and blockchain legal communities, and has served as an adjunct instructor at the University of Connecticut in a course titled “Special Topics in Smart Contracts and Distributed Ledgers”. He also serves as an informal advisor to legaltech startups.
- Before relocating to Los Angeles in 2019, Ben practiced law in Hartford, CT, and he maintains strong relationships with the Hartford insurtech community. He served as a key legal advisor to the Hartford InsurTech Hub, and continues to support Launch Hartford and various insurtech-related programs in Hartford and throughout the US.
- Ben was a founder and Board member of The Neighbor Fund, a nonprofit formed in 2016 to provide assistance to families under threat of deportation, and Taste of Mansfield, a nonprofit formed in 2018 to support local agriculture. He also served on the Lamont-Bysiewicz Digital Strategy Policy Committee in 2018, the Mansfield Democratic Town Committee from 2017 until 2019, and is a member of the Culver City Democratic Club. He currently serves as a Board member of the Culver City Educational Foundation.
- Represented Pub Ocean Ltd. in its $22M acquisition by Perion Network Ltd.;
- Represented low gravity pharmaceuticals manufacturer in $2M Series A financing and government grants and contracts in excess of $6M;
- Represented leading OTT adtech company in $17M in debt and equity financings.
Ben lives in Culver City with his wife and their two elementary school-aged children. In his free time, Ben coaches youth basketball, tries to convince his children to indulge his love for Euro-style board games, and also enjoys hiking and camping.
Ben earned his J.D. from Hastings College of the Law and his B.A. from Swarthmore College. He is licensed to practice law in California and Connecticut.