PARTNER - HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY GROUP
DAVID E. MEAD has represented clients in a wide range of industries for more than thirty years. He has successfully defended matters involving breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, business torts, civil rights, product liability, construction defect and employment litigation. For the past twenty years, his practice has been focused primarily on defending various health plans in provider dispute breach of contract cases brought by hospitals, surgery centers, medical supply providers and others. He has also brought actions by health plans against medical providers to recover overpayments. These provider dispute cases have been handled through binding arbitration with AAA and JAMS as well as in state and federal courts. David has tried more than 75 provider dispute matters during his career.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Represents major California health plans in arbitrated and litigated matters involving hospital and other provider claims for payment. Disputes generally involve issues related to coverage, coordination of benefits, other payers, disallowed charges, fee schedule, medical necessity, claims timeliness, experimental/investigational, pre-existing condition, EOC exclusions, contract interpretation, misrepresentation, and rescission.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar binding arbitration award on behalf of major California health plan against large hospital chain for breach of contract.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of building products distributor against competitor in misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition action.
- Represented motor scooter manufacturers in product liability cases involving injuries from rollovers and other accidents.
- Represented national building products manufacturer in suit against competitor for misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition with multimillion-dollar settlement obtained.
- Represented swimming pool equipment manufacturers in product liability cases involving traumatic injuries from diving and sliding accidents.
- Represented national life insurance company and captive agents in complex individual life insurance policy claim disputes. Cases are primarily situated in Federal court in California and involve various issues, including breach of contract, fraud, negligence, misrepresentation and rescission.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of local physician in multimillion-dollar qui tam action alleging fraudulent Medicare billings.
- Successfully litigated construction defect matter on behalf of local housing authority involving $13 million construction project with recovery of approximately $6.5 million.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of local housing authority involving multimillion-dollar breach of contract claims and obtained several million dollar verdict on cross-complaint involving false claims, breach of contract and fraud.
- Successfully represented police officers, police department and local city in several actions alleging violation of civil rights, assault and battery and/or wrongful death.
Publications, Recognitions & Speaking Engagements
- Hospital Claims Submitted to Health Plans: Timely Or Not, That is The Question (Health Plan & Provider, BNA, Inc., Vol. 14, No. 11)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Central Districts of California; US Federal Court of Claims
Memberships & Associations
- Current Chair, Thousand Oaks Alliance for the Arts
- Committee Member, Scandinavian Festival Thousand Oaks
- Former Commissioner, Thousand Oaks Cultural Affairs Commission
- Former Chair, Director, and Senior Director, Board of Directors, Goodwill Industries of Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties
- J.D., Loyola Law School, St. Thomas More Law Honor Society & International and Comparative Law Journal (Executive Editor)
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles
- State Bar of California