PARTNER - HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY GROUP
Marc Berkemeier is a partner at Prospera Law LLP and has over eighteen years’ experience representing health care insurers, production companies, and governmental entities in such complex litigation matters as provider disputes, class actions, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Marc’s recent successes include securing a favorable settlement for a major California health care service plan in a provider dispute related to thousands of hospital patient claims. He also has obtained favorable resolutions in class actions brought on behalf of plan subscribers alleging unfair competition claims.
Prior to joining Prospera Law, Marc was an attorney at another prominent litigation firm, as well as general counsel for, and board member of, Los Angeles based Progressive Beverages, Inc.
During law school, Marc served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Stephanie Duncan-Peters in the DC Superior Court, and following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Bohdan A. Futey in the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, DC.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Secured a favorable settlement for a major health care service plan in a provider dispute involving thousands of hospital patient claims.
- Successfully defeated a million dollar hospital provider dispute action based on a motion for summary judgment premised on statute of limitations arguments.
- Successfully defeated provider dispute matters at the pleading stage.
- Successfully defeated plaintiff’s motion for class certification for a large public entity in a complex, multi-million dollar putative class action brought on behalf of former patients at a public hospital alleging violations of the surgical standard of care.
- Secured a favorable settlement for a major California health care service plan in a class action brought on behalf of plan subscribers alleging unfair competition claims related to the application of certain plan deductibles.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a nutrition company involving alleged Prop 65 violations.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a production company involving breach of contract and copyright infringement.
- Southern California Super Lawyers (Rising Star 2008—2012)
- J.D., George Washington University
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom, Certificate of Study Summer Programme, International Law
- B.A., Indiana University
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States Court of Federal Claims